Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chapter 2...

Monday was an absolutely terrible day. It's funny that even though we knew the reality of probability and percentages and we talked about the various "what ifs", I don't think we actually had ever really convinced ourselves that the news would be anything but positive (well at least I didn’t). I guess after the months and months spent obsessing about attempt #1, how could the news be anything but positive? In fact I had kinda already moved on to worrying about the scan of the sacs and the heartbeat and getting through the first trimester.

It's been over 48 hours since I opened the e-mail from SCI and the sadness and tears have subsided considerably - thankfully. Now that the initial shock is over with and reality has started to sink in - there is no time to waste and time to move forward.

We've signed up for attempt #2. As we have 8 embryos frozen, this attempt will be a FET (frozen embryo transfer). Aside from the embryos being frozen and an additional 10% decrease in the likelihood of this turning into a positive pregnancy, the embryos that survive the thaw (they won't all necessarily make it unfortunately) will be allowed to develop a couple of more days to blastocyst (not all make it to blastocyst either), we'll be using ALH (assisted laser hatching). There are a lot of theories out there on blastocyst - but if you combine my complete lack of medical knowledge with the various articles/ research I've come across - embryos at blastocyst plus leveraging AHL *should* have an easier time implanting into the uterine lining. That said, I must do a better job this time around being a little more realistic with expectations.

 We don't have a confirmed date yet - I would like it to be today obviously (remember I'm super impatient) but it will be a while yet I fear. Yay, more waiting! When this baby finally comes I will be sure to let he/she know how much waiting his/her daddies had to endure (nothing like planning the guilt trips already haha! I kid I kid ;-)

So here's to wishing and hoping and praying that 2 is our lucky #, that our embryos survive the thaw, that they make it to blastocyst, and that SCI can find us the best possible surrogate ever).  I am going to be positive...and hopefully this is way too premature...but should this not work we will have to start considering our other options.



Definition of Blastocyst
Blastocyst culture is the most advance infertility treatment which involves in vitro fertilization and embryo culture for 5 to 6 days until it reaches the blastocyst stage – a final stage of embryo that is ready to implant in the uterine wall to impregnate. The best embryos are selected and transfer into the uterine cavity.  Traditional IVF is to implant embryo after rearing only 2-3 days externally into the intrauterine at the cleaving stage of only 4-8 cells. Blastocyst is a 5 day old embryo that is formed after the conception of egg and sperm. The embryo size before being embedded is 120-150 cells.

Assisted Laser Hatching
Laser assisted hatching is a technique whereby a small artificial hole is made in the zona of an embryo using a laser. It is thought that the embryo can then hatch more easily through this hole and hopefully increase the chance of the embryo implanting.  Laser assisted hatching is performed just before the embryo transfer procedure.  Some patients may produce embryos in which the zona is thickened or hardened making it difficult or impossible for the embryo to implant. Also, patients who have had several embryo transfers without success or patients who are older may wish to consider laser assisted hatching.

9 comments:

  1. We are pretty sure that this time you're gonna be lucky, you will see. hugs, xxx, Javier & Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a couple days late in catching up on the blog, sorry to hear the news but glad you are trying again! Xoxoxo

    Hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HB :-) Hope 2 is our lucky number (or we'll be knocking down your door for a loan :-)

      Delete
  3. Despite the decrese in viability, once you have a blastocyst you do have a better chance for implantation. The blastocyst will start developing many trophoblast cells (the cells that attach to the uterus and becomes the placenta). Good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That's good to hear - thanks for the info! :-)

      Delete
  4. Good luck guys.
    My test was negative too.
    I 'm waiting a new transference.
    best regards

    Nacho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Nacho - Good luck with your FET! We're scheduled to try again at the end of March. Maybe we'll be back in Delhi for baby pick-up at the same time if all goes well! :-)

      Delete
  5. Good to know that you guys are trying end of March! Baby dust to you!

    ReplyDelete