Monday was a big day for us.
Our driver picked us up at our
hotel at 1:30 for our first appointment at SCI (which was at 2:00). I was
pretty clear that I wanted to make sure we were there on time a) because that's
how I roll b) I didn't want to keep the Dr. waiting. The driver arrived a
few minutes early, which naturally made me happy and satisfied the control
freak in me. What I failed to realize is that our hotel is only a few
blocks away from the main Delhi courthouse and there's some MAJOR activity
going on there right now. Traffic was at a complete standstill - even for
Delhi standards. I would love to convey to people that have never been
here what traffic and what driving in general is like in Delhi - but there are
no words. It is beyond anything I have ever experienced and beyond
anything you could ever imagine. It's literally a free for all - which
has left me to having to resort to shutting my eyes for the majority of the
time. Our driver is amazing though - how he got us to our appointment on
time and in one piece is a miracle beyond miracles (plus driving into oncoming
traffic and what I believe at one point was him handing a man in a uniform some
money to allow us to drive on a sidewalk). Don't ask, don't tell.
The waiting room is filled with
pictures of babies and letters from grateful parents thanking SCI for helping
to make their dreams come true. I can't wait to have our own thank you
note on the very same wall.
Meeting Dr. Shivani was a treat -
she was so lovely and pleasant and really made us feel completely comfortable
and confident in our decision. It was hard to believe we were actually meeting
her after having seen her in so many pictures with so many parents and their
newborns as well as having watched all of her YouTube videos. Dr. S. took
us on a whirlwind tour of the SCI clinic and ISIS Hospital and introduced us to
many (and I mean many) of the staff - we were able to put the face to many of
the names that we have come across via e-mail. It is really quite an
impressive operation the have going on there - so many moving pieces but so
well organized.
It was then time to make the first
of three "deposits" at the ISIS hospital around the corner from
SCI. We walked in and there were four men sitting in the waiting area,
waiting for their turn. I can't say it wasn't a bit amusing waiting as
one guy would go in and then eventually come out (some were in their for what
seemed like a very long time - ha-ha). I, on the other hand (no pun
intended), was in and out if there in what I'm thinking may have been a record
breaking time LOL. I couldn't tell if Darren was proud or not :-)
So what next?
Wednesday - second deposit at
ISIS
Friday - Egg retrieval day (Dr. S
said there are a lot of follicles which is great news). I will also be
making the final deposit and they will be able to use the fresh sample for
fertilizing the eggs (which is what we were hoping for).
Monday the 14th - Egg
transfer. Followed by the 2ww (two week wait).
Day trip to Agra later today to
see the Taj :-) There's a new expressway that opened up recently which
means it's now as quick to get there by car as it is by train (which also means I
don't have to take the train after all - some friends thought that I may not
like the train very much). I do have to add - I'm adjusting quite fine to life in Delhi - but still waking up at 4am every day.

Fun, fun, fun.... Thanks for the update! My partner and I never made it to Agra, but maybe when we come back to pick up the babies, we'll make it then.
ReplyDeleteIf you have time I recommend it - it's certainly one of those once in a lifetime type of places to visit. For some unknown (poorly researched) reason Darren and I thought it was a palace, something like Versailles, but alas it is not :-)
DeleteThings are moving along...how exciting! And man, oh man...when we were in India in 2009 (clinic in Mumbai), we flew to Delhi, and then made the nearly five hour drive to Agra to see the Taj!...spent a couple hours there and then turned around and drove back to Delhi! Our driver made still made it in time for us to buy a rug in Delhi...which sits in our living room now. Times have changed. Thinking super good thoughts for your future deposits, retrievals and transfers!!! GOOD LUCK and Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteWow - I can't believe you managed to do all that in one day!
DeleteThanks for the well wishes and a Happy New Year to you too :-)
Oh I think I forgot to warn you about the traffic. I spent a lot of time with my eyes closed too! Its scary stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everything is going well! So exciting. I can't wait to hear about the next step.
Hb
Thanks Hb! Let's plan dinner when we get back to Toronto for an in person recap of this crazy little adventure.
Delete